Monday, March 28, 2016

Oklahoma Charmstring

Marsha Cassada has kindly decided to share her charmstring

"It is a small one, only 75 buttons. I found it in Mangum, Oklahoma a few years ago. I have never seen one in this part of the country before; Mangum is part of Old Greer County and belonged to the state of Texas before Oklahoma Territory was opened.  I believe it belonged to an early settler.  I took all the buttons off and cleaned them; a few of the metal ones were not salvageable.  The string was in good shape, so I put all the buttons back on the string in the same order.  Among items on the string were a little tin chair, and a Madonna and Child charm.  In my military button book, I looked up the uniform buttons and they all dated from WW I or earlier.  There is a penny with the middle taken out; I was hoping there was enough left to tell the year, but there was not.  My favorites are the Kate Greenaway and the lucky swastika.  There is also a nice hair button.  I removed the little chair from the string and display it in my dollhouse."


Military buttons and good luck swastika

Little metal chair

Shell heart

Madonna and Child charm

Hair Button

1 comment: